Sunday, July 19, 2009

You don't need a knife to clean a blue crab.

I finished the project of DOOM, and instead of feeling relieved, I feel drained. I snipped the last few ends, and then felt so wiped out I didn't even want to click the mouse button on my laptop. I'm not as pleased as I would like to be with this project. It seemed like a really good way to find out what I'm bad at, rather than a display of what I'd like to think I do well.

One way or the other, it's done. And now I have to figure out what's going on for our vacation. I looked at websites for Charleston a couple months ago, but there don't seem to be many resources for finding things to do there. In my mind it was always a fairly major city, maybe not exactly big, but certainly important. But maybe that's just because my mom went there when I was seven or eight years old and LOVED it. Or maybe it's because I've read Gone With the Wind forty-seven times. Either way, my parents seem to have a handle on things, so I think I'm going to let them just take the reins and lead me. My main goals are to have mimosas and get some seafood (one of the few things I miss about living in North Carolina is the seafood).

Richmond will take care of itself, since that's S's hometown. But Boston is giving me problems like Charleston. I normally have an idea of things I want to do when we go on vacation. In Italy we had to see the Vatican museums and I couldn't resist a day trip to Florence, and in Athens you obviously have to go to the Acropolis. But I'm at a loss for things do in American cities that aren't NY. I have ideas of things I'd like to see happen, like having a beer in an Irish pub, or sitting on the grass in Boston Common. There's so much history with the city that I KNOW I should be trying to figure out at least a couple historical spots to check out. But I also kind of like the idea of just walking around and seeing what happens. S is such a ridiculous joy to travel with because he's so easygoing, and often just picking a direction and following it works out really well for us. It was how we found the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain without even trying. It was also how we wandered into that military history museum, which would have been boring in English, but was nearly excruciating in Italian, but I take everything as an adventure on vacation. Who even knows what's going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment